aninda dutta - June 4, 2021 - Read time: 6 min
We have numerous ways to lose weight, and it seems pretty challenging to go for the one that fits best as per your requirements. Some are based on a slow process and assure weight reduction. On the other hand, there are ways to shed extra kilos from your body within a few months or weeks. Well, such methods don’t seem reliable at all. First, you’re supposed to consult a doctor about it. Secondly, it is also recommended to avoid believing in any random person or related information. People usually want to look thin quickly by following any diet. Therefore, they believe in any instant diet.
The fad diets are referred to as a process of losing weight in the shortest possible period. Unfortunately, the promises made by various fad diets are false as they change from year to year. Some typical fad diets are intermittent fasting, juice cleanses, paleo diet, the whole 30, and the ketogenic diet. The experts recommend other consistent yet healthier ways of reducing additional weight. Let’s have a look at the differences between a consistent diet that works and fad diets.
What is meant by a fad diet?
Any diet that promises to reduce the desired amount of your weight in less than the expected time is known as a fad diet. Most of them cannot continue for a longer span, but people still lose weight by following this diet. The major drawback of following this diet is the side effects. Any process of losing weight within a month or few weeks results in adverse health effects. You either would have to stop eating most of the time in a day or take some medications. Both types have adverse effects on health. In addition, you’ll probably gain that lost weight back once you stop following a fad diet. Therefore, it is evident that it won’t give the desired results once you leave the fad diet.
This kind of diet never provides the required nutrients to your body. The human body needs a sufficient amount of vitamin D, calcium, and minerals. But a fad diet is only concerned with shedding extra kilos from a body and never giving any nutrition. Vitamin D and calcium are essential to turn your bones more vital, while iron makes the red blood cells. Just imagine losing weight by skipping the intake of required nutrition. This means that you’re burning the additional fat that may increase weakness in your body. Before choosing this diet option, you need to ask a few questions yourself.
1. Is this a temporary plan?
2. Is it claiming to lose weight with no workout?
3. Am I supposed to buy certain foods to follow the diet?
4. Does the diet recommend any foods as “bad” or “good”?
5. Would I lose an unrealistic amount of weight in the shortest period?
You have probably spotted a fad diet if you have answered any of such queries. You would see the convincing ads that promote such diets. This is an unhealthy way to reduce your weight, and don’t be a fool by trusting these ads. The supplements or diet pills for weight loss are way more harmful than your expectations. These capsules would make you look thin by burning the fat and long-term adverse impacts on health.
Consistent yet Healthier Ways of Managing Weight
Instead of following a fad diet, you need to follow healthier and safer ways of losing weight. Start with cutting down the calories you eat and include the calorie-burning activities into your routine to reduce weight. It would be harmful to make a significant decrease in your calories. You instead make slight changes in diet to see the long-term desired results.
1. Focus on the sizes of portions that you take. Do not go for large meals and choose regular options. Instead, increase the intake of vegetables or fruits. Make them a part of your snacks and meals.
2. Prefer vegetarian sources, fish, turkey, and chicken of protein, i.e., tofu and beans.
3. Add whole grains to your plate in every meal, i.e., high-fiber cereals, brown rice, whole-grain pasta, and whole-grain bread. Refined grains are not better than whole grains.
4. Replace snacks with fruits. The body gets the best nutrients with more intake of fruits. So you better avoid munching on savories and snacks.
5. Take a healthy breakfast. Keep in mind that your body requires a sufficient amount of nutrition in the form of a healthy meal. And breakfast does the job if it is healthier. For instance, the use of cereals and fruits along with low-fat yogurt can be an ideal combo.
6. Do not take soda or soft drinks, or artificial fruit juices. Instead, stick to water or low-calorie drinks to stay active and healthier by losing weight.
These are excellent tips for the best results. You have to follow a consistent process to lose weight more healthily. Otherwise, there are chances that you end up without reducing a kilo from your weight. Do not think that any quick method would make you thin and healthy at the same time. The consistent yet healthier way always works better to give you the desired weight.
What to do?
There should be no compromise on health, and it should always be your top priority even if you want to lose weight. A wiser decision is to go for healthier diet options and help in shedding your weight not too quickly but after a certain period. The shared differences between a fad diet and a healthy diet can clear a lot of your confusion and make you able to make the right decision. The only natural sources of foods can work well to control the weight in the desired way. You can’t be able to reduce weight overnight by taking pills. So be your dietician by following these tips and save your hard-earned money. It is not as challenging as you think.